So, Frozen was surprisingly great…?
I was expecting to hate it, because
1) I thought it would be a “spunky” adaptation of The Snow Queen, which, NO.
2) That snowman looked annoying as hell
3) Anna is basically Rapunzel 2.0 in terms of character design, and seriously, Disney, people who aren’t white exist. Consider putting some in your movies.
1) It’s not The Snow Queen, at all. They veered far enough from that story to make it its own thing, thank goodness.
2) The snowman was adorable, somehow. I still don’t quite understand.
3) Yeah, this one is still a problem. No points there.
But other than that, it was really kind of super rad, and they actually addressed common fairy tale tropes in a fondly mocking and genuinely insightful way, and the characters were interesting and well-developed, and IT WAS ALL ABOUT SISTERS, and I’m not used to being impressed by Disney films. This is a weird feeling.
I just turned on my laptop, winced at the brightness of the screen, and said “Ugh, so loud.”
Which somehow perfectly sums up how my day has been.
Everyone needs to go follow Mouses Houses immediately.
Louis Janmot, Fleur des champs (detail), 1845, Musee des Beaux-Arts de Lyon, Photo: Alain Basset